Fiona Robertson who runs a retreat in France, argues that ‘most of our aches, pains, sicknesses and infections can be traced back to the health of our body’s ‘waste disposal”.
Interesting, but what do you do about it?
Well, Fiona recommends a week-long colon cleanse using psyllium and bentonite twice a year – preferably in the spring and autumn.
Whilst this may suit some people, this type of programme may not fit practically into many people’s life-styles.
I do agree that getting into the healthy habit of proactively detoxing your body is good.. In the same way that I service my car twice a year to clean out the dirt that has built up over the last 6 months, I try to detox my body a couple of times per year to get rid of any toxins that have built-up from eating, drinking and breathing..
As I always say, start where you are and select a method of cleansing that works for you.
Some people will be keen to get into a week-long programme, others will simply want to incorporate some smaller habits on a day-to-day basis. Here are five things you can consider:
1. Fasting – no food, just water, just juice – there are many different types of fasting to give your body a break and the opportunity to cleanse. Many experts recommend a monthly fast as a habit. Fasting helps clear our deeply buried pollutants.
2. Exercise – this will get rid of toxins, so simply move, play, dance, rebound
3. Sauna – particularly an infra red sauna.
4. Skin brushing – brushing your skin will expel toxins on the surface
5. Yoga – many types with one common aim :to create unity by cleansing and purifying the mind, body and spirit simultaneously.